Scholarship of Teaching and Learning: Publications
- [Book Chapter] Pucha, R., Dosa, K., Newton, S., Alemdar, M., Yow, R., and Hirsch, J. (2020) “Integrating Sustainability into a Freshman Engineering Course Through an Institute–level Initiative: A Teaching–Learning Model with Authentic Activity and Context”. In Integrating sustainable development into the curriculum: 18.Innovations in Higher Education Teaching and Learning Series. Patrick Blessinger (Ed). Emerald Publishing Limited. ISBN: 9781787699427.
- Pucha, R., Newton, S., and Alemdar, M. (2019). “Freshman Engineering Students See Value in Sustainability-themed Project-based Learning”. Presented at AASHE Conference & Expo 27 – Oct.30, Spokane, WA, USA.
- Pucha, R., Newton, S., and Alemdar, M. (2019) “Sustainability-Themed Socio-technical project-based learning in the Engineering classroom”. Presented at Sustainability Showcase: Kendeda Building for Innovative Sustainable Design.28 – 30, Georgia Tech., Atlanta, GA, USA.
- Pucha, R., Dosa, K., Newton, S., and Alemdar, M. (2019). “External Representation Design-for-Sustainability Intervention in an Engineering Graphics Course”. ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition. June 16 – June 19, Tampa, FL, USA.
- Pucha, RV., Thurman, CJ; Yow,R; Meeds, CR; and Hirsch, J (2018). “Engagement in Practice: Socio-technical Project-based Learning Model in a Freshman Engineering Design Course”. ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition. June 24 – June 27, Salt Lake City, UT, USA.
- Pucha, R; Levy,B; Linsey,J; Newton, SH; Alemdar, M; and Utsching, T. (2017). “Assessing Concept Generation Intervention Strategies for Creativity Using Design Problems in a Freshman Engineering Graphics Course”. ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition. June 25 – June 28, Columbus, OH, USA.
- Hirsch,J; Yow,R; O’Brien,S; Pucha, R; Wisdom,N; Realff, M; Zegura, E (2017) “Socio-technical Approaches to Sustainable Community Development in Atlanta”. Atlanta Studies Symposium, 26. (see Engineering problem solving has technical and social parts.)
- Hilton E, Li W, Newton SH, Alemdar M, Pucha R, Linsey J. (2016). “The Development and Effects of Teaching Perspective Free-Hand Sketching in Engineering Design”. ASME. International Design Engineering Technical Conferences. August 21 – 24. Charlotte, NC, USA.
- Pucha, R, Newton, SH., Alemdar, M., and Utschig, TT (2016). “Process-Oriented Intervention and Reflection Strategies for Creativity in Student Design Projects”. 4th international conference on design creativity, Nov.2 – Nov.4, Atlanta, GA.
- Pucha R; Utschig TT; Newton SH; Alemdar M; Moore R; Noyes CR (2016). “Critical and creative thinking activities for engaged learning in graphics and visualization course”. ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition. June 26 – June 29, New Orleans, LA.
- Pucha R; Utschig TT; Liang SY (2013). “Use of process-oriented approaches in content-intensive courses: Some insight in teaching / learning of machine design”. ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, June 23 – June 26, Atlanta, GA.
- Pucha R; Utschig TT (2012). “Learning-Centered Instruction of Engineering Graphics for Freshman Engineering Students”. The Journal of STEM Education: Innovations and Research 13(4), (pp. 24 – 33)
- Pucha R; Utschig TT (2009). “Computer-Aided-Nano-Design Education in the Engineering Curriculum: Scope and Challenges”. ASEE Southeast Section Conference. April 5-7, Southern Polytechnic State University, Atlanta, GA.
Introduction to engineering graphics and visualization: Design ideation, sketching, solid modeling and 3D printing. Development of assemblies and interpretation of drawings and specifications for product realization. Cross-listed with AE. 1770 Projects
Computer Graphics and CAD: Principles of geometric modeling, finite-element method, and interactive computer graphics hardware and software. CAD and CAE applications in thermal and mechanical design problems. Design projects.
Machine Design: The selection, analysis, and synthesis of springs, joining and fastening methods, bearings, shafts, gears, and other elements. Design of assemblies. Computer-based methods.
Statics: Elements of statics in two and three dimensions, free-body diagrams, distributed loads, centroids, and friction.
Deformable Bodies: Stress and strain analysis applied to beams, vessels, pipes, and combined loading; stress and strain transformations; beam deflection; column buckling.
Finite Element Method: Line, plane, solid, plate, and shell elements-theory: practical aspects of modeling; applications in mechanical engineering; final project.